As a WordPress beginner you must need to know how to install WordPress plugin and actually what is WordPress plugin and how to implement it on WordPress site.
A WordPress plugin is a piece of software that containing a group of functions those can be added to the WordPress site. By using plugin we can extend website functionality or we can add new features to our website. It’s easy for users to add features to a website without knowing a single line of code.
They give new functionality to your blog that either enhance features that were already available on the website or add new features to your site. WordPress plugins are available via the WordPress Plugins Directory and this site is designed by contributors and volunteers and those are usually free for the public and some of are paid plugins.
Automatic WordPress plugin installation
First, you need to go WordPress admin dashboard. Then click on Plugins -> Add New page.
Then type the name of the Plugin or author, descriptive keyword in Search Plugins box or click a tag link below the screen. Then find a WordPress plugin that you want to install. Click Install Now button to install the WordPress Plugin.
After successfully installed your plugin then click on Activate button to activate your plugin.
Plugin installation using WordPress admin upload
First, you need to go WordPress admin panel. Then click on Plugins -> Add New page. Then click on the Upload Plugin button on top of the page.
Then after you need to click on the choose file button and select the plugin zip file that you downloaded earlier to your computer. Then you need to click on the install now button.
Once you have installed plugin successfully, then click on the Activate Plugin link to start using the plugin.
Install WordPress plugin using FTP manually
In some of the cases, your WordPress hosting provider has some time file restrictions that could limit your ability to install a WordPress plugin from the admin side.
A solution to this situation: install the WordPress plugin manually by using FTP and this method is friendly for beginners.
- First, you will need to download the plugin’s zip file.
- Next step you need to extract this zip file on your computer.
- After Extracted the plugin zip file then will create a new folder with the same name as the zip file. This is the plugin folder that you need to upload manually to your website using an FTP client(ex. FileZilla).
- You will access your FTP manager using username and password and if you don’t have this details then please content to your website hosting provider.
- Next, open the FTP and log in with using FTP manager credentials and after connected FTP you will need to access the path /wp-content/plugins/
- Then, upload the plugin folder that you extracted from the zip file to the folder /wp-content/plugins/ on your server.
- Next, go to WordPress admin dashboard Plugin menu and then click on Activate link to activate your plugin.
WordPress plugin updates
If WordPress Plugins update is available then it will be displayed on the dashboard, and alert on the Plugin’s menu title, and Plugin Listing as well. Follow the instructions to update WordPress Plugin.
If WordPress Plugin is not compatible with the next version of WordPress, Then contact to the Plugin author directly for the next update and compatibility issues.
WordPress plugin implementation
In WordPress, plugin implementation is very easy and simple. WordPress plugins are created for reusable on websites. Below is the code example that would help to create a plugin in WordPress standard way.
- To create a plugin, all you need to do create a folder and then create a single file with the same name as plugin folder name.
- A plugin is detected WordPress by folder name and the comment code that write in the main plugin file in WordPress and all the plugins of WordPress contain the older name is plugins in wp-content directory.
- Navigate to the /wp-content/plugins/ folder, and create a new folder name helpyouforever. Inside this new folder, create a file named helpyouforever.php with the same name as the folder name. Open that file in text editor and write the following information on it.
<?php /* Plugin Name: Helpyouforever Creator Plugin URI: http://www.helpyouforever.com description: >- a plugin to create helpyouforever info things Version: 1.2 Author: Mr. Help Author URI: http://www.helpyouforever.com License: GPL2 */ ?>
Above comment code will be written on the top of the main plugin file that information is WordPress will scrap for define plugin info now after the comment you can write your class code and your action you need.
For codding plugin there is not different code structure is there. There is the code you can write same as writing in the WordPress theme that advantages of a plugin that code you can implement on multiple websites without recording every time.
Nowadays in WordPress having lot’s of the plugin available in the market for free of cost and some of are paid plugins so we do not need to create our plugin we can simply use it but in some cases, we want some different functionalities then we need to create plugin it’s best practice to create a plugin so that functionality can reusable in another website.
In case of if you want to upload that plugin on WordPress org then you need to write code with WordPress standard rule and you have to maintain the plugin security levels and one most important things that you need to create one readme.txt file that is located on plugin root directory and that file contains the plugin installation and usage guide. After plugin submission on WordPress org that will take time to review your plugin after reviewing if they will approve your plugin then that will be visible on WordPress org.